Tuesday, May 8, 2012

NEW EPA REGULATIONS_A Lesson on How to save energy and water


NEW EPA REGULATIONS—A Lesson on how to save energy and water
            Once again the EPA has affected my life in a negative manner. I feel led to share that experience with others who may have been personally affected by the intrusion of government. At this point in time, we are all feeling it on every hand as our liberties are being snatched away one at a time. Three of the most appalling ones recently have been the closing down of children’s lemonade stands to raise money for worthy causes; the removal of Girl Scouts who were selling GS cookies on the street without a permit, and just this morning I heard they are stopping bake sales. I wonder if anyone can produce one shred of evidence that anyone was ever harmed by these activities. Do you know of anyone who was ever poisoned by children’s lemonade? Or items purchased at a bake sale? And do children really need permits to earn a little spending money, to learn to be responsible, to count money and develop honest business practices, to employ good public relations, to acquire a good work ethic? Aren’t those things we need in our country?
            Oh my, I digress. Let me get back to the EPA. This week my washing machine of 10 years “broke.” Upon calling a repair man, we learned that it would cost almost as much to fix it as it would to purchase a new one. We opted for the new one; made a trip to Lowe’s and came home with our new machine. The first full load of clothes I washed, I noticed they did not smell clean, so I washed them again. I happened to be standing by the machine when it went into the rinse cycle, so I opened the lid and was amazed to see there was not enough water to cover the clothes. After reading all the paperwork that came with it, I learned that it meets the new EPA requirements to conserve energy and water. The same amount of water comes in the rinse cycle regardless of whether it’s a light load or a heavy load. I called the store and they reminded me that they had told me that when I bought the machine. They did tell me it was energy and water efficient, but I still expected it to wash my clothes thoroughly. The clerk said they did not have any machines in the store that were any different, that all of them had to meet that requirement now. Disappointed, I returned home and began the task of learning how to make the most of this INEFFICIENT machine. Now when the rinse cycle kicks in I have to be standing by the machine, turn it back to the wash cycle and fill the machine again, then turn it back to the rinse cycle. Then I can go back to my work at the computer. Tell me please how this saves water and energy! I am using more water and more electricity and wasting a lot of time in the process.
            I have other stories of how the EPA has invaded my life and destroyed a small family business that was built to their specifications, but I’ll save that for another day when I’m truly exasperated.
            Now I want to hear your personal stories. Please leave a comment and tell us how government intrusion is affecting your life. If you’ve purchased a washing machine lately that is not energy and water “efficient,” please share the brand name with us. Lowe's said they'd take this one back if they got in any that were different.
(Good folks to do business with!--Honest, putting customers first.)

2 comments:

Emily M. Akin said...

My new washing machine is about two years old now, and I hate it. It has an automatic water level sensor so that I have no control over the water level.

Doesn't everybody know it's the water that carries the dirt away. The detergent just makes it let go of the fabric.

Anyhow, if clothes are really dirty, I have the option of Second Rinse. I don't have to be standing by the machine, but I do have to remember to turn off the second rinse if I think I don't need it.

Oh, and I can't put anything in the wash after the cycle has started. If I raise the lid, the fill cycle starts all over again. It weighs the clothes AND the water that's already in there. I just stand there and pray that the doo-dad that makes it cut off when the tub is full works correctly.

It just doesn't make sense that our labor-saving devices should be so hard to deal with.

Advice---fix the old one.

Alice. J. Wisler said...

Thanks for this, Ann. Interesting read.

I hung on to my old washer until I got tired of having to sit on the top of it to make the spin cycle work---it was clearly off-balance. My new one is an energy-saver and I like it, although it took some adjusting to get used to its water/weight/sensor characteristics.